To awaken to the moment is to be willing to remind yourself of some fundamental points that orient your perception, belief systems and mindset. Bringing them to conscious awareness helps you decide where to go from here;
1) Realize misery is a choice. Review your take on basic mortality. Evolve to see it as it is, notice reactions of love or fear. Revelations are a springboard to transform you. To allow emotion to control you teaches you how to feel powerless, unloved and unlovable. Reactions are all extensions of you.
2) Know love opens the senses. You are invited to view the self and the world with pure compassion. Sensing harmony, kindness and sharing shifts focus from desire to receive. Deep appreciation for life helps focus the mind on fearlessness. You determine if you listen to love wisdom filling consciousness.
3) Rejecting invalidates who you are. To ignore soul impulse and practical experience is to ignore what is inside. When and if you will be aware and stop what does not serve you, is completely up to you. The ball is in your court.
4) Return to a dependable source. To grasp the source of your values, thoughts and actions helps you recognize the trail of unconscious conditioning and what truly comes naturally. Ideas from the universe do not have any Earthly source.
5) Experiment with truth. As you choose to test your own assumptions, and move beyond just rationalizing, you come to realize what works. Free will means you can discard ideas you outgrow that no longer seem to apply. Truth is as you like it, or not. It is static. Only external self transforms.